Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My biggest fears

While I was in the shower just now, I decided to think about my greatest fears. I am such an optimist, right? (ahem...sarcasm) So for your reading enjoyment, I shall list them below:

  • I actually have a tumor growing inside me somewhere, and since I never go to the doctor, it won't be discovered until it's too late and I die a painful death.
  • One day I will be unable to resist the urge (yes, I actually do kind of have this urge) to touch the el train as it drives by me, and I will lose my balance and fall onto the tracks and get electrocuted. Or...someone pushes me onto the tracks while I am looking to see where there next train is, and I get electrocuted or hit.
  • I will be in a really high floor of a building when it is on fire or collapsing or something 911-esque, and unable to go down that many floors to safety.
  • I will marry a man who later turns out to be a pedophile, and all my friends and family see him on "To Catch a Predator" and I am super humiliated. Worse if we have kids and he abuses them.
  • I am actually really REALLY bad at graphic design, but no one has ever told me because they didn't want to hurt my feelings.
  • I am actually the smelly kid, and again, no one told me.
  • Some of my memories are, in fact, fabricated.
  • I find out a deep, dark secret about a member of my family that causes me to completely change the way I think about him/her.
  • I have done/said something really bad or really embarrassing while asleep.
  • I have a gas leak in my stove and it fills my tiny apartment with carbon monoxide while I am sleeping, I die, and people donn't realize for days.
  • People are just pretending to like me.
  • There are rodents living in my apartment/house. Seriously. This is super scary to me, and I have no idea what I would do because I couldn't even check the traps without freaking out.
  • Someone breaks into my apartment and rapes/assaults me. Or even just watches me sleep, because that would be creepy as hell.
  • I am actually living in an alternate reality and none of this is real (like the Matrix).
  • I am actually a man and I will have to come to terms with my new gender identity (and yes, I realize this one is pretty much impossible, but you never know, I could be a freak of nature).
  • I get really, really obese.
  • I fall from a really tall building. Worse if I just break my back but am still alive to feel the pain and live the rest of my life paralyzed.
That's really all I can think of right now. Hopefully none of these things actually happen, but if they do...well, that would suck I guess.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Funny you were thinking about this in the shower and you didn't mention like... slipping and falling and hurting yourself and eventually dying because no one knows you're there since you live by yourself... And then you be found... naked.. dead. All that. Who knows how long it will take...?

Julie said...

Interestingly enough, something like that happened to my grandma's friend. She was stuck in her tub, unable to move, for over a day until a neighbor found her.

Susie said...

I worry about the tumor thing all the time. I was actually thinking about it today at church. Or maybe it wasn't at church, but somewhere today. And sometimes I worry about the smelly thing, so then I put on body spray and worry that I put on too much and I'm that person. And the pedophile thing would be quite bad, definitely. And the doing something embarrassing while asleep thing, I worry about that too.

And just so you know, I don't think you're smelly. At least, you weren't the four years we were in college. I don't know what your hygienic habits are like these days. And I really like you. And if I knew anything about graphic design I'd say you're good, but I don't know anything so I can't say that with any authority. But I've always enjoyed things you've done that I've seen. So there.