Monday, July 6, 2009

One is the lonliest number...

Lately I've been thinking about my impending move to the new apartment. I am quite excited to be leaving my current location, as I kind of always thought of it as temporary and so I never quite made it feel like home. I also am quite over the whole one room, sleep on a futon thing. It will be nice to have a bed to sleep on, a couch to sit on, a table to eat at, etc. As it is, I pretty much use my futon for all three of these things. I suppose it is rather versatile. Also good for housing guests...but that is beside the point.

Although there are many things to look forward to, I think the thing I most look forward to is having people around. I miss being able to come home and briefly tell someone about my day. I will like having roommates around, particularly on the weekends when you are just kinda lazy during the day and want to hang out at home. I will also be glad that I can more easily host guests. While I can do that now, I just don't think my place is a very comfortable/fun place to be. It seems now that if I want to see people, I have to go out of my way to find some activity and invite people to join me. Which is fine, but I miss the college random hang-outs that occurred. Remember when your friends could just kind of stop by, or when you spent an hour throwing a ball around your bedroom laughing hysterically? (Ok, maybe that last one was just me. And maybe I have thrown/kicked a blue ball around with friends in my current apartment as well. But you get the point.)

So the whole moving thing sounds great, right? Obviously, the PHYSICAL moving/packing/unpacking is not the best thing ever, that I don't look forward to, but the end result is key. Anyway, I guess the whole point of this post, is that it is just now hitting me. I've spent the last year (plus a month or so) living by myself. I've gotten used to doing my own thing, going out of my comfort zone a bit, and not having to answer to anyone. Now, all of a sudden, I'm going to be living with two roommates (three, if you count the cat), and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it. I'm sure it will be fine, but for some reason it kind of makes me think of when I first moved away to college and all the worries I had. Except now it's kind of the opposite. I am not scared of being off on my own (which was an underlying fear when moving away to college), but now I am afraid of losing my freedom.

I hope this is not misinterpreted. It's not like I expect that I will be a prisoner in my house or something. It's just the freedom to do things how I want without asking if it's ok with everyone, or the freedom to leave dirty dishes in the sink, or the freedom to invite whoever I want over without having to check with people first. Not that I think my roommates will mind a ton about all these things, but it's just a small concern of mine. How will I handle losing a bit of my freedom?

Meh, I think it'll be better in the long run. My dream in life is to have a huge house that all my friends and family live in together. Maybe like that giant hotel in the Shining, except not haunted and creepy. Anyone interested?

No comments: