Monday, September 8, 2008

Labor Day, but not the childbirth kind.

So wait...now what was I supposed to be blogging about? Katherine assigned me topics...who does she think she is, Linda Richman?

If you got that joke, good for you. I'd been meaning to blog for awhile now, even wrote it in my planner! See, labor day weekend was rather eventful, so I wanted to chronicle that, too. I guess I will give the highlights.

My weekend pretty much started on Thursday after work when we had our second trip to Castaways. It was fun, I didn't stay the whole time, but enjoyable and relaxing and no storms or anything. I had to leave early because Gail was coming in town to interview and was going to stay with me that night. I took a cab back, met her at a bookstore, and we came back to my apartment to chill and catch up.

So...the next day was notable because 1) Gail got the job and 2)We got to leave early. I spent that time taking a nap...just like old times! I probably slept too long because that's just what I do, but unfortunately there was not a dog show on tv.

I initially was worried about this weekend because I did not have any set plans. I worried that I would sit around the whole time being bored and doing nothing. Don't get me wrong, doing nothing is nice, but I tend to get bored/lonely/smelly when I just sit around all day doing nothing. After I woke up from my nap, I tried to find something to do. I used my creepy facebooking skills to get in touch with Wasi, who was going to a BBQ, so I tagged along. It was a bit weird because I was the youngest one there. Sometimes you'd like to think you're all mature and grown up...until you hang out with people who own a condo. It was pretty chill, but I enjoyed it. Anyway, after that we went to meet Spiderman and more trumpets at a bar. We had some huge cans of beer, which were impressive to me. Someone decided that we needed shots...ughh. Shots are gross. Spiderman imparted this piece of wisdom:
"Someone once told me: Beer before liquor? You're fine." Heh. So later we met up with Wasi's friends at this Korean karaoke bar. Upon entering, Spidermen promply threw up on his was to some sketchy back alley. We spent a bit looking for him, I brought some water, and we sat around. Eventually, I headed back in and dominated karaoke (if that is even possible). This place was great. You get your own little room for your friends and half the songs are in Korean (as well as the remote). The backgrounds are just videos of random cities, which is funny because I'd be singing "We Built This City" and seeing scenes of Prague.

Spidey stayed in my apartment that night, and he spent the next morning recovering as we watched College Gameday. Woo! College football! We eventually left to get bagels, when I got a call from Andrew because he and his roommate had extra tickets to see Batman in IMAX. This was great for me, because I was the one person who hadn't seen it and I got to see it on a HUGGGEEE screen. So that was a fun time. I personally was excited to see my building (that I work in) in the movie, as well as Millenium Station and Binny's (the chain of liquor stores in Chicagoland).

That evening I called Mike, who was at Kyle etc.'s apartment. There were a bunch of Sorin guys in town, which was kind of weird. Mark the Shark was there, telling us about his job which involves occasionally going into sewers and seeing poop float by. It was pretty fun to chat with people. We ended up at a chill bar down the street, and then finished the night at the little Mexican restaurant...again. This time I used the restroom...which was in the kitchen. I washed my hands in the same sink as the workers use! How exciting!

The next day was Sunday. I'm blanking...Oh. I watched football during the day, napped, then met up with Katherine at the BYOB noodle place. It is quite delicious, and BYOB is pretty much the best idea ever. It is weird that Katherine is a real teacher now...seems like only yesterday we were students! Ha. Her students love Miley, but she has to pretend not to know who Miley is. I never realized just how much some of my friends have in common with fourth graders. We went to a bar after since we were off the next day, and later met up with Mike C. and K-Fed. It got decently crowded, so we moved to Barleycorn expecting to find dancing, but instead were disappointed. Oh well. It was still fun to chat and not have to go to bed for work the next morning.

Monday I met up with Dolu. Some homeless guy told him that he should marry me. I decided that whenever I have to make a major life decision I will consult a homeless person. We went to Panera to use the internetz, and then went to Giordano's for some pizza. We had a nice long conversation about various topics, and Dolu referenced St. Peter the Great on multiple occasions. We ended up sitting by the lake downtown, watching the boats. How very romantic. Too bad he didn't take the homeless guy's advise, it would have been a good day to pop the question...haha.

Dolu had to get back, so I headed to Carol's to see her new apartment. I got a nice little tour of University of Chicago and Hyde Park. We ate at a little Mediteranean restaurant (and coincidentally, I just ate the leftovers from that evening today for dinner. It was delicious, I swear!) It was a nice ending to an unexpectedly busy weekend.

I have to leave for the airport at 4:30 am, so I am going to leave my blog entry for this past weekend for later. For the time being, here is a song for you to watch. I like the part with the gun shots and cash register.

2 comments:

David said...

WHAT 9000?!?

Oscar said...

I love MIA "Paper Planes"!!! It is a fantastic song, esp. the gunshots and cash register.