Saturday, June 14, 2008

Starting a new-ish life

Since Dave has been nagging me to blog, I guess I finally will. I guess there are a few eventful things that have happened to me lately:
1. I found an apartment the first day I was here, but it wasn't going to be ready for a week. So I have been living with my relatives who have been great the past week or so. They take me to the train station, have done my laundry, give me food...the whole shebang. I take the metra train into the city every day. It's pretty convienient.
2. When we first came to Chicago, I took my parents around downtown. The fun included the blues festival and sweet/cheap tickets to see Wicked (they were in front row, center, I was 8th row on the side. They were good seats, I thought) They were really impressed by the show, and I was impressed by the fact that I could actually see the actors' faces.
3. My relatives got me to go to this thing with a guy they knew who had an extra ticket. It was a black tie benefit for the Lincoln Park zoo. It was really last minute for me, but it ended up being fun. I was the youngest one there (the others in our group were late 20s, early 30s), but that was ok. They had an open bar full of top shelf alcohol and the best cover band I've seen. The next day I went on a boat ride and realized I didn't like boats much. The water was choppy, but the rave-type music was entertaining.
4. I started work this week. Basically I am designing stuff for alcohol distributors, such as posters and little cards with drink specials on them. I spend much of my day looking through files for the perfect photo of a bottle. It seems busy, but enjoyable. I hope I get to see some of my work soon. I always hate starting in a new place because I don't like being the new kid. I never know what's going on and it's a little lonely. Luckily, my coworkers usually invite me to lunch, or tell me when they will be eating in the break room, so that is nice. I have a cubicle, but it isn't quite decorated yet. The office kind of reminds me of a dorm room in that everyone's cubicle is decorated with alcohol memorabilia.
5. Speaking of dorm rooms...I started moving into my apartment today. My parents came up, we moved some stuff, then went to Ikea (and I heard a great song mix, including Miley and Whitney's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody"...so Backer. My studio is rather small, but is pricey compared to what I paid at TC. I am in a pretty 'happening' area, so I guess that's why they cost so much. I wish I could have found a roommate who wanted to live in the area, but oh well. Maybe I'll put up some pictures once it is decorated.
6. Yesterday I went with Spiderman and his old trumpet friends and some other people to Goose Island brewery, and then to a German-style bar. It was nice to go out with people. I got back all by myself, which included a trip on the el, a walk through downtown, and a Metra train. Woo! I'm awesome!
7. I'm probably forgetting stuff, but I guess I will post later whenever I get internet at my place...but who knows when that will be. What I do know is that I will most likely be in South Bend for the first home game. So...get your couches/floors ready for those of you who are still there (and read this blog). Katherine bought a flight, so I guess that settles it.

The end. Of this post.

1 comment:

Susie said...

I keep being tempted to tell you guys to update again, so good that you did without me telling you!

Just wanted to say that I totally get and agree with the "new kid" thing. It's not the best feeling. Oh well.

Miss you!