Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wow...we really dropped the ball

Yeah. We never did get around to doing a 2nd half of senior week recap. Maybe I will post a few topics so that either Katherine or I can come back and talk about them (because, frankly, I have other things I would like to talk about in this blog.) So...we need to fill you and ourselves in on Thursday of Senior week, which I can't really remember besides the last visit to the Grotto, the Friday, which was when my parents came in town, I went to the psych dept. ceremony, we ate at Brunos, and went to Katherine's parents' condo that they were renting. Did we go to the backer that night? Saturday, I went to the art dept. picnic, Bethany and I got pictures with JR, that was the day of the mass, after which...I went to that chinese place, and later the Ponge's condo, Cliff's party, and of course, the Backer, with Bethany's sister. The next day was graduation and things of that nature, culminating in a party at Susie's parents' rented house. The next evening, me, Katherine, Bethany, and Katherine's mom ate at the backer, then had some people over to finish the beer and that fancy striped cheese.

Ok, more recent news...the next week I got a job interview in Chicago, where I fell while walking down the street, spent a long time in a Starbucks, and had a strange coincidence involving Mike Piazza. Heh. Other notable things that week...getting rid of an apartment's worth of furniture, throwing out a ton of crap and other horrible move-out related things, last trip to the Backer with JR, and coming home. Also, the Sunday before memorial day was my family's cookout/picnic thingy.

So I guess the biggest news in my life is that I got that job in Chicago and I'll be moving there this week! It's all happening so fast...I have yet to sign the contract and I have nowhere to live, and I need to pack and stuff like that. I guess I will have more to say about this in the coming weeks.

Other recent happenings include my trip to O'Shea's with Phil. We got down to the Bardstown Road bar area, which was pretty bustling with people going from place to place, sitting outside and all that. For those of you not from Louisville, this is what the bar was like. You first walk into the courtyard, which has tables and a fountain and stuff, so it's a nice little calm outdoor atmosphere. Then, you walk inside to the large front bar, where a live cover band is playing. I thought they were pretty good. There are lots of booths and tables here, but also a bit of standing room. If you go back further, you pass the restrooms, including the secret one which apparently you do not have to stand in line for, as I found out. Then another bar, and the music here is the same as that which is playing in the backyard, where there is a large standing area and a dance floor. When we first walked out here, Living on a Prayer or something like that was playing, followed by at least 6 solid backer songs. Phil and I were super excited, as we thought we had found Louisville's version of the backer. But, like the backer, as the night went on, more and more rap and such was played, for the benefit of all the townies there. People even did the Cupid Shuffle. Weird. There is also a little house next to this area that had yet another bar in it, and a much smaller dance area.

So here are some key differences: 1. Phil pointed out the lack of sludge on the ground. I guess that's a plus?
2. Drinks: more expensive, served in GLASS, and no 32 oz cups of blue moon, though they did have it on tap.
3. We were the townies? In a way? Kinda weird.
4. No mmbop, or BSB or NSYNC, though there was some Justin and some Journey and Madonna early on. No Miley, though.
5. It reminded me of a Backer/Fever hybrid. There were a lot of male predators...the kind that just kind of stand there, watching. Just waiting for a girl to look desperate/drunk enough to dance with them or to tolerate being danced upon. There are many different areas to be, so less likely to get bored, more places to hide from said males.
6. I saw like 4 people from my high school, but only really talked to one, and just said hi to one briefly. These encounters baffle me, because when I see people who were merely acquaintances in HS, do I talk to them? What will I say? The girl I talked to ran with me, so that wasn't weird, but the other ones, I saw from afar and I guess fit this category.
7. I saw people wearing colors, backwards hats, dorags...and there were no security guards to shine lights in their eyes!
8. No pole. Phil and I decided it should have been more crowded on the dance floor, and a crappy gold painted pole.
9. We had to take a cab home because it was about 2 miles from my house. Oh, and also, the bars here close at 4. Which is craaaazyyy!!

Today was fairly uneventful until this evening, because I stayed up way to late last night talking to Phil and then reading, which caused me to sleep til 2pm. I did finish a Sodoku puzzle (I'm just starting to do these things...don't make fun!) I met up with my friend Kara and we checked out this new sushi place. It was delicious and quite cheap...less than $15 apiece, including tip, and we got 3 large rolls and miso soup. MMMM!! Afterwards, we stopped by some clothes boutiques on Bardstown Rd., which was hopping, by the way. I like how many people were out and about and how much cool stuff is along there. We went down the road a bit to the Heine Bros. at Eastern Parkway, where we sat for 2 hours, talking, drinking coffee, and listening to the cover band across the street at Qdoba. We also saw this fire truck thing with people on top that was called "Party Pool" or something like that. But the people were neither wet nor wearing swimsuits, so we pondered the point of this concept every time it passed by (which was like...10 times). We eventually went to a party where I talked to an old co-worker from Stonybrook, and watched the coolest physics project ever...involving fire and sound waves. You'd have to see it to believe it. There was also a lot of shirtlessness on the roof, for some reason. But yeah, enjoyable time.

Ok, I am tired of typing. Maybe next time I will share my crazy small world story!

No comments: